Saturday, September 8, 2012

Peach Cobbler



So the other day, I went peach picking!! It was a beautiful sunny day while picking and I was so excited to bake with them. Well, by the time I lugged my bushels home, I wasn't as ecstatic, instead I was very very tired and the peaches sat on the counter for awhile. They continued sit there....and sit there. Well, finally I decided to make something with the peaches, so I hoped onto the internet and headed over to one of my favorite blogs, BrownEyedBaker, and scrolled through her compilation of her favorite peach recipes. I decided upon this one! Its both sweet and spicy because of the hint of nutmeg and cinnamon! The biscuit-like topping is a perfectly simple almost bland complement to the peaches. I do wish I had more peaches as I seemed to have a lot of topping and not much peaches, anyways I still thoroughly enjoyed it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!



Ingredients: 
For the Peach Filling:
6 peaches, peeled, pitted & sliced into ¼- to ½-inch slices
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons instant tapioca, (ground up a bit)
For the Cobbler Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
¾ cup buttermilk


Directions:
  1.  Preheat  your oven to 350 degrees F, and grab a large oven safe baking dish. 
  2. In a bowl mix together the peaches, lemon juice, sugar, spices, salt and tapioca. Stir together and let sit for 15 minutes. 
  3. To make the cobbler topping, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, suagar and salt, then mix in the butter with your hands. Keep mixing until the mixture resembles a corse meal with small bits of butter. Then pour in the buttermilk and mix with a fork. 
  4. Dump the peach mixture into your baking dish, then drop the cobbler topping over the peach mixture (I used a large cookie dough scoop). 
  5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, the peaches will bubble and the top should become golden brown. 
Adapted From BrownEyedBaker

No comments:

Post a Comment