Sunday, July 28, 2013

Almond and Chocolate Chip Cookies


Almond paste has always given me the heebee-geebees. I would always see it in the grocery and specialty food stores, but was never interested. I think my apprehension was more a result of my naiveté about almond paste and marzipan, I thought they were the same thing for a very long time, but alas they are not.


Now, there is nothing wrong with almond paste or marzipan, I honestly think that I never wanted to buy either because of the creepy bear on the box. Case in point here.


Even though I am talking mostly about marzipan I just want to emphasize that this recipe uses almond paste. Don't want to confuse anyone. ;)

And as you may have guessed from this post, I am back in the kitchen (and I totally just wrote bake instead of back)!


Almond and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ Cup sugar
¾ Cup brown sugar, packed
3 oz Almond paste
2 Large eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 and ½ Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
12 oz mini chocolate chips
2/3 Cup sliced almonds

Directions:
1.     Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
2.     In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. Add in the almond paste, pulse mixer a few times to evenly incorporate. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
3.     Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and almonds in a large bowl.
4.     Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the mixer on low. Beat until the dough just comes together.
5.     Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets using a small cookie dough scoop. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, the edges should be golden brown, but the middles will look underdone (this will make for chewier cookies, if you want to make them crispier bake for 1 or 2 more minutes). 

Recipe Adapted from Picky Palate

Print Recipe Here

4 comments:

  1. I don't know the difference between almond paste and marzipan...I've tried almond paste but not the other. These cookies look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marzipan has sugar... I think haha! And thank you!!

      Delete
  2. What a cool recipe! These cookies look perfect! I bet they tasted great! Glad you are back in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I came across it on Pinterest and I was like I HAVE TO MAKE THESE! And thanks I am glad too!

      Delete