Friday, November 9, 2012

Chocolate Sugar Cookies with a Milk Chocolate Drizzle and Heath

The Hurricane has gone, and the Nor'easter has passed, I came through with very little damage except for the minor inconvenience of no power. I hope that those of you in the storms' paths are safe as well! After a few days in the dark, I finally was able to make cookies. While without power, I was constantly on Pinterest on my phone, and was finding all of these great recipes. I was so sad that I was not able to make any of them because I had nothing in my fridge and no power to cook with, it was a hopeless cause. So, I was so excited when the power came back on, but I had the hardest time deciding which recipe to bake! I am horrible at decision making, so this process took a while! 
Here are some hurricane pictures of the damage around me, it pales in comparison with those in New York and New Jersey, my heart goes out to those of you in those states! 




This large "branch" was feet from hitting my neighbors house! 
 Now, back to the food! Yesterday I made my decision and decided to make Sweetapolita's Chocolate Sugar Cookies. I had originally had in mind to decorate them with royal icing, but I got very tired (as usual) and opted against that. Instead I decided why not up the chocolate factor and add a little crunch by way of Heath bar? Sounded excellent! 

Some got the chocolate overload treatment, others a
 sprinkle of sanding sugar, and some were left plain. 
Rosie at Sweetapolita has created a great recipe that is simple to whip up and is sure to impress! My mother loved them and could not stop eating them! Good thing this recipe makes a MASSIVE amount of cookies, no joke you could feed your neighborhood! I still have half of the dough in my fridge for another day...maybe just after I finish this post? :)
My favorite were the ones with Heath and chocolate!
Hope you enjoy!
Molly
P.S. I finally am on Instagram, follow me and get insight into my wacky life! You can follow me by clicking the logo on the left-hand side of the page! 

Chocolate Sugar Cookies 
Ingredients: 
6 cups of all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
1 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 C (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 C sugar
1 C packed light brown sugar
3 eggs, straight from the fridge
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Sift together the cocoa powder and flour. Stir in the salt and set this bowl aside. 
Cream the butter and both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, it should become light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until just combined. 
In small increments, mix in the flour mixture. I eventually had to knead in the rest of the flour because it was overflowing out of my mixer! 
Once the dough is combined thoroughly, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes. 
Remove some of the dough from the bowl and roll out between pieces of parchment, under my parchment I used my silicone pie rolling mat, until you achieve an even thickness. Place the rolled dough in the freezer for 15 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 350 F, line cookie sheets with parchment. 
Remove dough from the freezer and cut with any cookie cutters you please. Place cut dough on parchment in the freezer for 15 more minutes (makes the cookies keep their shape). 
Bake for 14- 16 minutes (the longer they are in the freezer the longer the cooking time). Cool on cookie sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. 
Decorate how ever you feel, I just melted chocolate chips in the microwave and used a fork to fling it over the cookies (so professional of me :)). 
Finally, EAT LARGE AMOUNTS OF THESE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment