Sunday, December 8, 2013

Dutch Oven Bread


The extended title of this post should be: Super Easy Overnight 4-Ingredient Dutch Oven Bread. I have attempted to make Parker House Rolls twice, both failed miserably. Since then I have always been weary of yeast. If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you probably remember when I initially mentioned my issues with yeast. Well, I was able to overcome my fear of yeast when I made those delicious grilled pizzas! So, I decided to dig out my yeast and make some bread!
Watch out, it is getting steamy in here!
This bread is ridiculously easy. You measure, mix, let the dough rise overnight, shape it into a ball, let it rest, and bake it! I would highly recommend this as a bread for anyone who has never made bread or is weary of working with yeast. The only place you need to be careful is with the temperature of the water, feel free to use a thermometer and aim for around 100 to 110 degrees F. If not using a thermometer, you want the water to feel like warm bath water on your wrist.



Yeast and dough whisk provided by the amazing King Arthur Flour. Thank you!

Dutch Oven Bread
Ingredients:
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Instant Yeast
1 ½ Cups Warm Water (100 – 110 degrees F)

Directions:
1.     In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and yeast until thoroughly combined.
2.     Add in warm water, stirring with a dough whisk or wooden spoon until dough comes together. Do not over mix. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for at least 8 hours, but up to 24 hours. The dough should double in size.
3.     After dough has risen and you are ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
4.     Flour hands and flour a clean surface; turn the dough out onto floured surface. Form the dough into a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and let the dough rest.
5.     Once the oven has pre-heated and while the dough is resting, place Dutch oven and lid in oven to pre-heat for 30 minutes.
6.     Place ball of dough, on piece of parchment, and carefully lower dough into pre-heated Dutch oven. Replace the lid on Dutch oven. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Bake uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crusty. To check for doneness you can carefully lift up parchment and knock on the bottom of the bread, it should sound hollow when done. Let rest 10 minutes before eating. 


Recipe Adapted from The Baker Chick 

6 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely incredible. I'm almost definitely making this over break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We should make it together over break... :D! Wait until you see the variation I made on it, oh baby is it good!

      Delete
  2. That pic with the steam looks incredible! I bet this is one tasty bread, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your bet would be correct! Too bad you didn't bet any money on it! And I was on beat the clock to get the steam before it cooled too much!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photo with the steam!! Love it. I have a yeast phobia (ewww that sounds wrong) and I stay away from bread but this sounds so easy. I will just have to attempt my dear. Thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I totally think you should make a stab at it! You're most welcome!!

      Delete