Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cherry and Nectarine "Crisp"



I say "crisp" because I don't know what this really is. It started out as a galette, but did not end up as a galette. I went to roll out the galette dough, and lets just say that the dough was not of a sufficient quantity. I am not really sure what I did wrong, but SOMETHING happened. So, I just pressed the dough into the bottom of a pie plate, put the fruit on top and then decided it needed a crisp-like topping. And that my friends is how the "crisp" came to be (and if I were for some reason reading this to you out loud I would most definitely be using air quotes!). Just a riveting story now isn't it?


When I make this again, I will forgo making the "under dough" because it was not that noticeable and it just seemed superfluous. Therefore I will not be including it in the recipe, but if you REALLY need to have it feel free to email me and I can search for the scrap of paper on which I wrote the recipe. Do you write your recipes on scraps of paper or are you more high tech and save them on your computer? Sometimes I write them out, but then there are those times I get really lazy and just pin them. I really need to get into typing them up, but there is just something so comforting about handwriting things. 

It took me forever to post this recipe because of my stupid infatuation with handwriting things. I wrote down the recipe on a scrap of paper, and lost it and literally just found it this morning! So voila here you go!  

Also I hate these pictures. My family, specifically Mama Bakelette, devoured this concoction before I photographed it. This is also the reason for the strange shape that has been eaten away, it was spoonful here and there, you do that too right? Also the lighting is terrible. Sorry the pictures are not very appetizing, but I hope the fact that it was devoured before I could do so vouches for its deliciousness! I leave you with this photo to try and tempt your palette. 

Cherry and Nectarine "Crisp"

Ingredients:
Fruit Filling:
2 Cups cherries, chopped and pitted
3 Nectarines, roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Tablespoon raw sugar

Crisp Topping:
1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
1/4 Cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 Cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a pie dish. Prepare fruit. Combine cherries, nectarines, flour and sugar in a medium bowl, stir together. Let fruit mixture sit for 15 to 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile prepare crisp topping by combining flour, oats, brown sugar and butter in a small bowl. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingers until it is thoroughly incorporated and looks like wet sand. 

3. Pour fruit into prepared pie dish. Cover with crisp topping. Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes  (longer for crispier topping).

Recipe by Bakelette 





No comments:

Post a Comment