Thursday, October 10, 2013

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes


Before this recipe, it had been a long long time since I had baked something. And boy, did I miss baking or what! I think my baking stuff missed me too, I may or may not have found a dead spider and a layer of dust in a pan that obviously hadn't been used recently. Do not fret, if I did find such things in my pantry I would most certainly scrub them!


I am not really sure what I am trying to say to you in this post, for it is coming out all garbled, mangled and rambling. Good evening. NOT. See I don't even know where I am going with this, and I am just going to quit my incoherent rambling while I am ahead as they say. 


Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes
Very Loosely Adapted from The Novice Chef 

Ingredients: 
1 and 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 
1 Cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 Egg
2 Teaspoons of vanilla
1/4 Cup plain whole milk yogurt
2 Tablespoons applesauce 
1/2 Cup banana, mashed (about 1 banana) 
1/2 Cup buttermilk

Directions: 
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Spray or line cupcake pan with papers. 
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. On low, beat in egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Scrap down the bowl. Beat in yogurt and applesauce. 
4. In a glass measuring cup, mash banana and measure to 1/2 cup. Beat mashed banana into wet ingredients in stand mixer. 
5. Add the dry ingredients to wet in three additions, alternating with two additions of the buttermilk. Gently stir/fold until just combined. Do not over mix. 
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 23-26 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for 20 minutes in pans on wire rack, then remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire rack. 

Notes:
Always cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
I enjoyed a few of these without frosting, it you want to dress non-frosted ones up, just dust with powdered sugar for presentation! 


I never wrote down the recipe I used for the frosting, and it was a Bakelette original, so it is gone forever (UGH). However, this Brown Sugar Cream Cheese frosting by Spiced sounds very similar! 


8 comments:

  1. Glad to see you re-discovered your love of baking...'tis the season for delicious baked goods! And these Banana Cupcakes look amazing. I love the addition of the brown sugar for a little twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am a huge fan of brown sugar, I find it adds a more complex and caramel-y flavor!

      Delete
  2. Well hello there!! I'm happy to see you here :) These cupcakes look delicious my friend and the frosting is a great combination.

    PS: Your ramblings are my favorite! Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, love ramblings! I love banana treats! especially those covered in frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I want these so badly. There has been a huge lack of banana treats in my life lately (but come to think of it a lot of bananas...)
    Anywho! I want you to know that I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Your posts are super relatable and I always look forward to new posts! Here's the link to the nomination: http://gotessgo.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/314/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TESSA! I love you! Thank you so very much for the nomination!! I cannot wait to read through it again and post my own!! Hope to see you soon! xoxo

      Delete