Monday, November 19, 2012

Pumpkin Honey Cornbread

Most people make cornbread from those little boxes found in supermarkets everywhere. Well I have this strange but vivid memory from when I was younger about those little boxes. I remember that I was making cornbread with my mom and I had opened the box and poured its contents in a bowl. Well, to my surprise there was a dead fly in it! Yuck! I have since tried to avoid those little boxes, but last year caved and tried the apple cinnamon muffins (no flies were found)! It probably was a freak accident that I got a bad box, I am prone to things like this. Anyways, back to cornbread, homemade cornbread is so delicious, while the boxed mixes are often dry and chalky.

Cornbread is a great addition to chili and other hearty meals, but it can also be a horrible if it is too dry and crumbly. Cornbread should be moist and have a delightfully dense crumb, you should not need to grab your nearest glass of water and gulp it down. 
This cornbread is perfectly moist and not too sweet, it is the perfect combination of honey, corn meal and pumpkin. I believe that using local raw honey made all the difference, you are able to taste the honey throughout the cake even though only one tablespoon is used! And if you are anything like me you will drizzle even more honey on top! 

 This cornbread will be making an appearance on my Thanksgiving table spread! You should make it part of your Thanksgiving celebration too! I can't make you make this, but I am telling you that you MUST make this as you will be completely addicted and may want to forgo the rest your Thanksgiving sides! Just kidding...maybe.
Clearly, I thoroughly enjoyed eating this while taking pictures!
The entire pan was gone in less than 24 hours....
Enjoy!
Molly
Happy Thanksgiving!
Do you have any new recipes that you will be adding to your Thanksgiving table spread?

Pumpkin Honey Cornbread 
Ingredients
1/4 cup melted butter, unsalted
1/3 cup white granulated sugar
1 TBS honey (local raw is best)
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease or spray with cooking spray an 8 or 9 in. round baking dish.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, butter and honey. Whisk in the egg, then whisk in the baking soda, buttermilk and pumpkin.
In a separate bowl mix together the salt, flour and cornmeal. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir ONLY until the flour has disappeared.
Pour the batter in the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, the top should be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted. If toothpick does not come out clean, bake for five more minutes.

An original recipe from The Comfort of Cooking

Also don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment