Monday, December 3, 2012

Chocolate Sprinkle Thumbprint Cookies

If you have read some of my posts, you may have gathered that I am a huge fan of Brown Eyed Baker! Michelle's recipes are excellent, and her pictures always make me drool! I also feel like she may be my long lost twin, I am able to relate to so many of her stories and her likes and dislikes! I always want to comment "OMG, me too!", but I try to restrain myself. I would love to meet her one day, she was one of the first baking blogs I discovered. Whenever I am looking for a specific recipe, no matter savory, or sweet I usually first look at Michelle's recipes.  If you haven't already, I would highly recommend that you start following her blog! Anyways on with my blog posting!

Since the summer, I have had my eye on Michelle's chocolate sprinkle thumbprint cookies. Many times I was all set to make this recipe, but at the last minute I would lose interest for some reason (odd, I know)! A few weeks ago I once again was prepared to make this recipe and I am happy to report that I completed the recipe!
SPRINKLES!
Michelle developed this recipe because she became addicted to similar cookies from her local grocery store! Unfortunately, I have never tasted the originals that inspired Michelle, but I was inspired enough by her pictures!
These were the only two left when it came to taking photos. 
As Michelle describes these cookies do not have your typical chewy cookie texture, rather they are slightly crumbly similar to the texture of shortbread. Seeing as I love shortbread I really enjoyed the texture and taste of these cookies, just add sprinkles and I am so in!  Oh maybe add some chocolatley frosting that doesn't hurt either!
Where do you find baking inspiration? The grocery store? Other blogs?
Enjoy!
M

Chocolate Sprinkle Thumbprint Cookies
Ingredients:
Cookies:
2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Cup unsalted butter, softened
1 Cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
tons of chocolate sprinkles
Chocolate Frosting:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; set aside for later. In another bowl pour in the chocolate sprinkles, setting aside for later.
Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes using an electric mixer. Reduce the speed and mix in the flour and salt mixture. Gradually increase the speed, beating for one minute more.
Scoop out the dough using a small cookie scoop, form dough into a ball, then roll dough in the sprinkles. Place sprinkled dough onto baking sheets. Leave adequate space between cookies, then make a slight imprint on the tops of the dough. Bake for 10 minutes, then make the indentation deeper (use a spoon or you will burn your finger like me). Bake for another 8 minutes, the cookies will not brown. Cool for a minute or 2 on the baking sheets, then cool completely on wire racks.
For the icing, beat the butter with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed, and add in the cocoa and powdered sugar. Increase the speed and mix until smooth. Mix in the milk and vanilla extract. To achieve your desired consistency add more powdered sugar or milk.
After the cookies have cooled completely, pipe frosting into the indentations.
Store at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly! I'm just poking around here. These cookies look perfectly munchable!!! I wanted to thank you for your email- it made my day. :) xoxo- K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very munchable! I would make a double batch next time! And thank you, you just made my day with this comment! xoxo M

      Delete